Saturday 18 October 2014

Ottawa - The Ride That Wasn’t

It’s one of those moments...should I, shouldn’t I? I have to go to Ottawa (or as it’s pronounced by Anglophone Canadians “Oddawah”), to attend a conference. I know this sounds terribly exciting, it is after all a conference for accountants, more specifically accountants involved in the public sector, but I am trying to decide if I should make it even more exciting by riding my motorcycle there and back.  A few weeks ago this would have been a no-brainer, I’d have been on that Boulevard like white on rice, but now I waiver, it’s the weather you see. I can handle a bit of rain, I can handle some cold, I can handle wind, but I am not sure that I want to ride nearly 500 km there and the same back through rain, cold and wind and that is pretty much what www.theweathernetwork.com is saying about Sunday through to Tuesday. Friends and family urge caution, Iron John inside me wants to ride the storm. I am sorry to admit that I wimp out. Shameful admission though it is, I will not pretend that I braved the storms on the Boulevard, instead I drove the Dodge Caravan – sad old joker that I am.

I manage to leave a little later than intended (as bloody usual), so decide to take the 401 motorway. Before leaving home I grab a few CDs from the collection and toss them onto the passenger seat – actually it’s been a long time since they saw service, what with YouTube and iTunes, CDs have gone the same way as vinyl. Some classic Eric Clapton and a more recent album where he does Country and even a bit of Reggae, the man has talent and like Keith Richards all the drugs in the world can't silence him. Koos Kombuis reminds me of a previous life, the haunting sounds of the soundtrack to the movie The Mission (Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons and a very youthful Liam Neeson before all that Taken shit), and a still wonderful compilation CD from 1999 – Radio 94.7 Highveld Stereo – featuring songs like Maria by Blondie, Simply Red and The Air That I Breathe, Savage Garden To the Moon and Back, and Perfect 10 by Beautiful South, keep me company. It is marvelous, but tame, oh so tame, however I seem to be vindicated, the weather is really foul. I stop at an Onroute for gas and the wind knifes icily through me, I have seen not a single motorcyclist since turning onto the motorway. Contrast to when I rode to the Adirondack, just a week or so before, man the weather changes fast at this time of year.

Driving along listening to music I realize something that hadn’t come to mind about riding my motorcycle. Driving in a car one has the need to be interacting with the world outside your head, listening to music or chatter on the radio, talking to passengers, assuming you have any. When I’m on the Boulevard, it’s just me and my thoughts, it’s become my quiet time, paradoxically I suppose, considering all that’s going on when you ride. It’s meditation of sorts, Zen at 130 Km/h. This is the time that I’ve been able to put so much into perspective. It has been humbling and empowering at the same time. I wouldn’t swap the hours on my motorcycle for a hundred times those hours more living, because that living is filmed in sepia and riding a motorcycle is in Technicolor.       

Just past Kingston I take Provincial Road 15 north to Smith Falls, ultimately to join up with Highway 7 at Carleton Place. Smith Falls holds a few powerful memories for me, it feels like a million years ago, but was just in the spring that Helena and I rode to Rigaud in Quebec for a memorable few days. It started to rain just after Smith Falls, we were travelling east on Provincial Road 43, not particularly heavy rain, but we stopped on the hard shoulder, such as it was, and donned the rain gear. Our mistake was to only put on the jackets, foolishly thinking that the trouser part was not really necessary, actually it’s the trousers that are the most important part of the outfit. We hadn’t gone far when it became evident that the rain strikes you on the shins, goes straight through the cotton of your jeans and runs down your legs into your boots, very unpleasant. Today I am going north through Smith Falls and it is raining cats and dogs – is it ever dry here?

Eventually I meet up with Highway 7, which is by now a dual carriage way, the sun has set and according to my Dodge Caravan’s instruments the external temperature is 4 degrees C. I tell Iron John that really, riding this on the Boulevard would have been hell, he tells me that I’m just a mommy’s boy… I deal with that, fuck him and his testosterone issues. Highway 7 becomes Highway 417 that takes me into Ottawa. After a bit of getting lost, not unusual for me, I am a little dyslexic when it comes to left, right and east and west, eventually I find the guest house. For some reason north and south does not present me with any issues.  Alexander House on Besserer Street turns out to be a really great find. My hosts, Sharon and Stephen, are an interesting and very pleasant couple and the room and indeed guest house is full of beautiful antiques. My only complaint is the weak Wi-Fi signal in the room, when I move my laptop to the dining room it is fine. Sharon is also ok with serving me breakfast at 7.00 a.m. a ridiculous hour dictated by some overeager accountant who wants the day to start  with registration at 8.00 a.m. Breakfast is served on Sharon’s lovely collection of white and blue crockery – Spode, Delft and Willow Pattern – a great meal with pleasant conversation, despite the uncivilized hour. 


Besserger Street



Modestly Prosperous 

Ottawa is a city of civil servants, a bit like Pretoria and I suppose like Washington and Canberra, but perhaps less contrived, at least it seems to be less designed and more accidental. It has that prosperous, yet modest air of a government town. I pass several embassies, confirming this is the capital. The Angolan embassy pulls a bit at my heart strings, sometimes when I’m reminded of Africa I get a powerful longing to return to the tropical heat and wilderness. I miss African people (black people) the most, their inherent kindness and capacity to survive and enjoy life despite terrible poverty, lack of opportunity and very often horrendous oppression.


Angolan Embassy 

As things turn out I don’t get a lot of time to explore the city other than the 25 minute walk from Alexander house to the Ottawa Conference Centre, but I find myself drawn to this city. This is a city of great compromise, an Anglophone Canadian city that realizes that it must accommodate, nay embrace, Quebec, and is truly the better for it. Ottawa has a sophistication that is more encompassing than any other city that I have been to in Canada. The balancing act that Canada performs to keep the interests of the Quebecois and the rest of Canada in sync seems to me to be symbolized here. I understand that the city was selected to be the capital city of Canada by Queen Victoria mainly as it is about equidistant between Toronto and Quebec City, a good compromise. My walk eventually brings me to the entrance to the Conference Centre, I know it is supposed to resemble a tulip, but frankly I don’t see it. It’s a moderately interesting glass building attached to a shopping centre, slightly out of character with the surroundings, but does not clash too much.  I sign in and conference away for the next two days.



The City of Gold, with Tulip in Foreground

Tuesday afternoon arrives and the coven of accountants breaks up, all of us much wiser and our craft honed to perfection. I bid farewell to my hosts in Besserer Streey and navigate the Dodge Caravan to Highway 417 westbound. It’s cold and rainy and as I leave the city the heavens open, I travel through a downpour of biblical proportions that even Moses would have been proud of it. Visibility is cut to 50 metres and the highway becomes a river. I am glad not to be on a motorcycle, this would be a profoundly dangerous ride, not to mention how uncomfortable it would be. The storm does not last and by the time I reach Highway 7 it is dry and the sun has come out, I wish I was on the Boulevard again. Driving, compared to riding a motorcycle, is like eating chocolate with a condom on the tongue, now there’s a mixed metaphor for you!

My plan is to follow the Trans Canadian and retrace the road that Helena and I rode to Rigaud and back in the spring. It was our first long ride and we were both a little nervous when we set out. We had originally planned a longer trip, Rigaud was intended to be merely the first stop, then onto Île d’Orléans via Trois-Rivières. From a base in Île d’Orléans we planned to day trip down the Saint Lawrence and return home on a route that would have taken us through Maine, Vermont and the Adirondack. It would have been absolutely fabulous and I’d like to do it sometime, but we realized that it was overly ambitious and would take more time than we had available. I suspect Helena was also reluctant to leave the chubby little dachshunds to the tender mercies of the younger generation for the week or so, lest we return to emaciated little dachshunds. In stages we moderated the plan, and in the end it was just to Rigaud, day trip in the area, stay a second night and ride back. Modest in comparison to the original idea it was nonetheless a great three days and actually just the right distance, there is a type of fitness that one needs to build up to handle long rides. If you are not used to it you get tired and make stupid mistakes.  

Helena on her Harley D (883 Sportster) and I on the Boulevard B.O.S.S., we left home at about 8 in the morning. We took a slightly longer route to get to the Trans Canadian Highway in order to go through the Kawartha Lakes Region. Up until that point a long ride for us had been to the town of Lindsay, the main town of the Kawartha Lakes District, now it was just a coffee stop on the way – Tim Horton’s and a few double espressos. We picked up the Trans Canadian just after Lindsay and headed towards Peterborough through Omemee, home town of Neil Young, currently grumpy looking grandpa, once the fourth wheel of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. We bypassed Peterborough, travelling on a short stretch of dual carriageway. Our exposure to motorways had been limited and it was an exciting, if slightly scary, experience. Back on normal roads, the Trans Canadian traversed farmlands, but these soon gave way to forests, this is the Canadian Shield and there is not enough topsoil to do much intensive farming. It was late spring and all around the world was in the process of reawakening. It still blows me away how in the winter the plants die away and snow covers everything, then spring arrives and by June, Southern Ontario looks more like a tropical paradise than anything else. Helena is a keen gardener, and works hard to plant, mulch, mow and do all the other earthy pursuits involved in making our garden look as great as it does, but out here it’s all the workings of nature – just wonderful.            

We followed the Trans Canadian to Madoc where we took a coffee break and gassed up the motorcycles. Just before the gas station we passed the mad guy of Madoc’s place, at least that’s what we think of him – reminiscent of Howling Mad Murdock. From Madoc to the town of Perth the Trans Canadian goes through the loveliest stretch imaginable. Even now as I drive back from Ottawa on this road in the fall it is an absolute gorgeous stretch – lakes, rivers and ponds uncountable, now the forests are red and yellow tinged, rather than light green of spring that Helena and I rode through. We parted company with the Trans Canadian at Perth, where we took the provincial road 43 to Smith Falls. As we rode there was a sense that we were riding just ahead of a storm, it was chasing us eastwards, but as Hollywood will attest, nature will catch up with you, and we were forced to deal with the rain, poorly as mentioned earlier.



Howling Mad Madoc's Place

We crossed from Ontario into Quebec just after the village of Alexander. I have Anglophone Canadian friends that refuse to travel through Quebec on the grounds that they cannot abide the French. I have dealt with French speaking Canadians that refuse to speak English though they can. People, really, are we Canadians or not? Ok so I’m going to say something unpopular here – WAKE THE FUCK UP! The French and Indian War ended in 1763… that is a QUARTER OF A MILLENIUIM ago!  Underlying all divisions between human tribes is self-interest of one or other politician. I absolutely love to visit Quebec, it’s like taking a trip to Provence, without the expense of a transatlantic flight. The guesthouse in Rigaud is situated high up on the hill (mountain?)  Le Point de Vue - see www.lepointdevue.net. It is run by a gay couple that make you feel really welcome, even though we speak no French and they speak little English. The room is tastefully furnished with a stunning view over the Ottawa valley. We were tired, cold and hungry and after a shower we took a taxi into town in search of a nice French meal, it was still raining. It turned out that although Rigaud is a skiing resort and a university town in a French speaking province, it is cursed with a complete dearth of decent restaurants. I could not believe it, the best place to have dinner had pictures of the dishes on the menu (always a bad sign) and the food was pretty disappointing.


Breakfast the next morning was, however, a very different proposition. I hadn’t read the literature properly so was unaware of the treat in store, like it or not we were in for a six course breakfast. Helena and I are poached eggs and coffee fans, as far as breakfast is concerned, but for fear of offending our hosts we soldiered through – it was really good, just more than we could handle. We waddled out from the breakfast room at about ten, sleepy and at least an hour behind schedule, never mind it was fun, so who cares.  Our planned route for the day took us to Grande Île, down to Ormsville, through Franklin and eventually north through Huntingdon. It was a great day trip, lots of twists and turns and fabulous countryside – agriculture, but on a smaller scale and less industrial than Ontario.  Our route back to Rigaud was intended to take us onto the Autoroute De Souvinir west, then get on the provincial road 325 and up through the countryside to Rigaud. Unhappily Helena and I got separated and I ended up taking the motorway almost into Montreal. For once I was relieved to encounter a tollgate stop. The guy in the booth, in broken English pointed out the road I needed to follow. I was eternally grateful and once again realize that the myth of the arrogant, unhelpful Quebecois is just that, a myth. Fifty hair-raising kilometres later I arrived in Rigaud. The road to the guest house from the motorway went past a supermarket. I stopped to buy salad stuff, olives, cheese, hummus, tortillas and some wine. In the meantime Helena had followed the intended route and got to ride through some stunning countryside and enjoyed the twists and turns of a quiet country road. The distance for the day, about 350 Km.  We dined on my purchases on the balcony overlooking the Ottawa River Valley – absolutely gorgeous.   


Scenes from  Highway 7


 Even the water lilies change colour


Canadian Shield 


Really lovely - on Highway 7 

We left the guest house early the next morning dressed in full regalia, it was rainy and cold so the rain gear was on. Now I am as keen as the next guy on a six course breakfast, but there was no way we could make it home by a reasonable hour had we stayed for that, instead it was tea biscuits and espresso at Tim Horton’s in Alexander. We followed the same road home that we had come by. Not always a bad idea, the view coming is very different to the view going. I suggested we go through Peterborough instead of bypassing on the motorway, which wasn’t my brightest moment, stop-start traffic for 5 kilometres through the ugliness of Walmart, Home Depots and other cookie cutter emporiums that ruin all Canadian towns. We made it home before six o’clock to the boundless joy of the dachshunds, you would swear that we had been away for weeks and weeks. Poor little buggers, their needs are so simple and straightforward you just can’t help loving them.


My route home from Ottawa is much the same, it is rainy and cold with intermittent sunshine. Fall instead of spring, red and yellow leaves versus light green of the newly sprouted, only driving the Dodge Caravan is such a poor substitute. This is Canada, I deal with the downs because it has such ups. The riding season is coming to an end, but there is always next year. Older, but no wiser, I’ll ride again, assuming I’m still here and capable.   

No comments:

Post a Comment